Re: Europa-List: Fitting the doors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fitting the doors
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:57:06

simon miles wrote:
<simon.miles@tiscali.be>

> I've started trying to fit the doors to my Tri-gear and am having a
few
> problems.
>
> Firstly, the guides for the shoot-bolts in the doors interfere (very
> slightly) with the door frame - I have checked the guides and they
are as
> flush as they can be to the doors so there appears to be no
possibility of
> installing the partner guides in the door frame without some
surgery. Is
> this normal?

It's normal only with homebuilt A/C, kitplane notwithstanding!  There
appears more than enough beef in the exposed part of the shoot bolt
guide to grind down to suit.  Then grind and reshape the pointy part
of the shoot bolt.

It can still strike the fuselage door surround in wind and prop wash,
so I added "striker plates" made from .018" stainless steel strip sold
by my local hobby store for about $1, and they had .010" if preferred.
Best if formed to wrap around the 90-deg bend in the surround, and it
will be reasonably flush if a recess is Dremel'd out by removing
basically epoxy, not cutting a lot of fibers.  Glue into place; cr. to
Tony K for the basic idea..

Drilling a 1/'2" hole in thin SS won't be easy, but I sandwiched it
between two thin pieces of hard wood and used a Black and Decker
"Bullet Bit."  A very handy tool elsewhere in the build, and any bit
which cuts around the circumference vs. the point of the drill except
in a pilot hole does the job if a real slow drill speed is used.

Reg,
Fred F.