Re: Europa-List: Fitting the doors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fitting the doors
From: Gerry Holland <gnholland@onetel.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:02:08

Simon Hi!

> I've started trying to fit the doors to my Tri-gear and am having a few
> problems.

Just to make you feel better.... The Engine Cowlings are even worse but...

> Firstly, the guides for the shoot-bolts in the doors interfere (very
> slightly) with the door frame - I have checked the guides and they are as
> flush as they can be to the doors so there appears to be no possibility of
> installing the partner guides in the door frame without some surgery. Is
> this normal?

As I remember I did have to recess the Fuselage door frame positions
slightly but ensuring a good foundation of Redux/Flox Mix at rear of
fitting. It all works fine now.

> Secondly, I am finding it difficult to get the doors to sit in position
> without them springing-out proud of the door recess mid-way between the top
> and bottom. I can't see where I should be trimming the doors to avoid this.
> Advice would be appreciated.

Not sure why. I did have a similar situation and decided on taking a happy
medium. The Door hinged Ok and shut Ok but did rise slightly above the
Fuselage 'natural' profile. I minimised that appearance by subtly add a
little filler to fuselage in that area to maintain a more continuous line.
It looks OK now and it wasn't a lot of added filler.

> Thirdly, if there is any other problem to look forward to with door
> installation I'd be pleased to be forewarned!

Not really. You are reversing the Gas struts? Might be worth adding 'D'
handles to rear inner door skin to assist with efficient closure of rear
pin.

Regards

Gerry

Europa 384 G-FIZY
Trigear with Rotax 912 and Arplast CS Prop.
Engine near to starting.
Painting completed. Vinyl design scheme to be added.
Completing Wiring to Panel.
Dynon EFIS, KMD 150, Icom A-200 and SL70 Transponder. AoA Fitted.
Shoulder Width Mod. Heater Unit in construction.

http://www.g-fizy.com
+44 7808 402404
gnholland@onetel.com