Europa-List: Tufnol Lubricants (the definitive answer)

Subject: Europa-List: Tufnol Lubricants (the definitive answer)
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:07:23

Gidday,
Over the years there has been an ongoing thread regarding the lubricants of
choice for the tufnol bearings. I am just about to install my module and
recognise now is the right time to apply a lubricant. My controls are
relatively loose anyway, except for a small binding at "full left aileron".
I understand hydrocarbon based lubricants are not ideal, but I don't know
why. I think it has something to do with the potential swelling of the
tufnol, but I am not certain. So, people talk about synthetic oils etc,
silicone based or non-silicone. Now I know silicone near a surface to be
bonded is "Bad", but I do not intend on bonding anywhere near my bearings !!
So, can someone please tell me more about these lubricant options. I
believe some of the pushbike lubricants may well be good, but am
floundering a little on a lack of knowledge.
Thanks in anticipation

Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia

Classic 236  B.B. Taildragger
Tail, Wings, Ailerons, Flaps Complete and Connected
Lower Fuse in Jig, Tail Torque Tube installed
Mass Balance assembly installed and deflections sorted
Roof Panel between doors completed.
Photos at:
http://forum.okhuijsen.org/modules.php?set_albumName=TonyR&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&PHPSESSID=902b69917a45f8b18ac84fe3f85a704b
Intended Engine: 912S CS prop (model undecided)
Instrumentation: Undecided