Europa-List: Thanks for the Tour

Subject: Europa-List: Thanks for the Tour
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:20:19

>From: "bryan allsop" <info@blackballclub.fsnet.co.uk>
>Those of us lucky enough to be on David Joyce's 'Tour de France' this week had
>a truly great trip! This was mainly due to David's immense hard work
>before hand,
>and his undoubted skills on the phone speaking French.
>We never went without accommodation, and the gourmet evening meals were
>organised
>throughout.
>I hope everyone got back OK.
>
>Thanks David.       Bryan

I feel slightly ashamed Bryan, I would have written earlier but I've been
yanked away again to mend a Cozy
There were 3 of us who were lucky enough to go on Dave Buzz' Arctic Circle
tour. It was fantastic. Dave is a brilliant leader, so professional and
competent. (he was a weatherman once) We got to meet a lot of nice people,
Jos Okhuijsen, Svein Johnsen and his DC3 flying friend not least, I saw my
old friends Harald Linke and Norbert Hoffman. Norbert is fighting to get
his medical back, he has a nasty attack which his doctors said they
couldn't cure. Anyone who knows Norbert prays that his body can cure it.
Norbert, I hope you won't mind me mentioning this but when I had my problem
the good wishes of all of you helped me enormously. Just remember everyone
who knows you loves you.

The scenery north of Stockholm is daunting, nothing but 800 miles of trees,
sea, lakes and tundra but the Rotax never missed a beat. Ivalo, 68 north 27
east is a beautiful place, totally dependant on our Gulf Stream for it's
life style, is very hospitable, that's where our Club web site lives. I am
amazed by the log cabins, they look so basic but I just know they must be
adequate at 30 below. Hospitality is wonderful, even better than we
Europeans get in the USA, reindeer steak is much better than cow steak and
the fresh water  "whitefish" was superb.

We had fantastic sky scapes both north and south. One of which stopped us
reaching Narvic. The lady ATC at our diversion still had a smile when we
went up to her tower. Our leader found it necessary to park in the first
turn off of the runway she specially opened for us, it was closed so we
declared an emergency at her suggestion, to look at the cowling. (It was
still shaking with cold.!?!) So was I, but it was rough at 500 feet over
the lake, well below the mountain tops. Laster the same day we eventually
landed in Oslo, around 10:30 PM to be very adequately looked after by
Svein. ( I'd love to sail one of those Trimarans we watched racing!)

The people were the best part, when you get into a group like ours the
friendship and mutual help available is so uplifting. We can all give a
little and it is always amazing that always so much more than we give comes
back. Makes life worth living.

Thanks again Dave for ten days of wonderful memories.

Graham