Re: Europa-List: Seats

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Seats
From: Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:21:02

I would fully recommend the principles expounded at

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/building/interior/Carving%20Foam%20
Seats.html

(or look in Sport Aviation 08/90 for the original article) having now built
up to about Mk 10 of seat cushions for the Europa.

Flat squabs (no matter how well laminated with different densities of
Dynafoam) don't work for me and become a pain in the tailbone after an hour
or so. This is after covering over the seat area in the inner module so that
the aileron torque tube tunnel does not present a hardspot.

What has worked well is the squab from a computer chair. This has a
bowl-shaped plywood base and inch or so of high density  foam. It cost
nothing and is perhaps not the long term hardware, but confirms what to aim
for in terms of shape.

If seats are too fully moulded, then one is constrained to sit in the same
place all of the time, which can be tiresome.

Duncan McF