Re: Europa-List: flash generator units

Subject: Re: Europa-List: flash generator units
From: Jim Brown <acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:44:46

Brian

I installed the Whelin three in one lights/strobes in the build process. These
lights have
500 + hr. on them with no problems.

On installation make sure that the ground wire is continuous through the wing
disconnect
fitting, from the wing tip to the box. Which was installed behind the baggage
compartment.
Then make sure the box is grounded also. This should eliminate noise in the
headset.

Jim
N398JB

EuropaXSA276@aol.com wrote:

> While at Sun and Fun last week one item that I wanted to investigate were the
> three in one wing tip lights.  I spent some time with the rep from Whelin.
> Naturally my first question was why their system was over $300 more than the
> aero flash units?
>
> He pointed out some differences between the two.
> One item was the strobe tube. Whelin's tube is a pig tail and the Aero unit
> is a horseshoe shape.  The rep said that this design allowed for more flash
> area in the unit.
>
> He also stated that his unit was defiantly brighter and can be seen further.
> Which is why we install the devises in the first place. In fact the Aero Flash
> units "may not meet FAA requirements for light intensity." I question that...
>
> In addition we spoke of where to install the box. I mentioned that many have
> chosen to install in the wing in hopes of eliminating flash noise on the Com.
> He said that so long that the Whelin unit was directly grounded to battery,
> and shielded wiring was used it should not be a problem for cockpit
> installation. Additionaly he noted that the wire shielding could have a lug
> attached
and