RE: Europa-List: Repainting the mini U2

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Repainting the mini U2
From: KARL HEINDL <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:27:23

Dave,

This topic has come around many times. This so called UV protection additive is
little more than a sales gimmick. See previous notes by Graham Singleton etc..
If your aircraft is really exposed to sunlight most of its life , then some
protection is probably required. The only way to stop ultraviolet rays to reach
the structure is to use very dark paint, i.e. a dark green epoxy primer or
primer
filler is all you need underneath your topcoat. I didn't do that, but then
my Europa spends most of its life in the garage, in a hangar, or is covered
up. I have used small amounts of smooth prime and found it easy to work with.
It's shelf life, at least that of the hardener , is very limited. For topcoating
I would stay away from polyurethane. I used two-part acrylic urethane with
great success and at low cost. I heard recently that some builders are now using
two-part automotive paints.

Karl