Europa-List: Repainting the mini U2

Subject: Europa-List: Repainting the mini U2
From: Dave Anderson <dja767@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:28:06

Hello group.

As a result of finish coat failure (a HUGE, long story), I am starting to
experiment
with removing my paint and repainting the airplane. I have UV smooth prime
underneath for the UV protection and after today's trial sanding it is clear
the paint will come off fine, but I will not be able to avoid doing the entire
job over again. I can't leave the primer underneath and get thte finish coat
off. I will attempt to remove the finish coat from the primer on certain areas,
but I am facing repeating history. The plan now is to go with two possible
choices. One is aerothane with an epoxy primer. Unfortunately the epoxy primer
doesn't have UV protection ( what the heck is that anyway, really!). I have
a local painter who has said he does not like the water based UV smooth prime
- he does not use if and has painted airplanes that have been primed with it.

Here is the question: Does anybody know if there is another option for priming
with a UV protection that is not UV smooth prime ( seems everyone uses that
stuff)?
Also, since it has been over a year since I painted and I have a gallon
left over, does anybody know what the shelf life of that stuff is? I have
purchased
a quart and am going to experiment with different items to paint to see
if i can get a smooth finish.

I just can't wait to get more painting experience! This time, it will work!

Dave
A227
Mini U2
178 hours TT
working on cabin heater, upholstery and REPAINT!