Re: Europa-List: gel coat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: gel coat
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:20:00

In a message dated 1/26/2004 4:56:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
graham@gflight.f9.co.uk writes:

> I use epoxy primer (SP Systems Hibuild 320 ) then acrylic/urethane paint.
> It's easier to buff or refinish than straight urethane. .
> Graham

Graham,

Have you ever used or are you familiar with Sikkens urethane? I'm still on a
serious learning curve here, but what I've been shown in recent months in my
shop with 1 complete refinish of completely failed gel coat on a Nimbus C
fuselage and 3 repairs of failing gel coat on 2, ASW 27's and an LS-8 with the

Sikkens product is nothing short of amazing. We were using Autoclor colorbuild

primer. I couldn't imagine any paint being easier to work with or producing
better results. Like I said, though, it ain't cheap, but if there's something
out

there that works as well as Sikkens with out the price shock of $500/gallon I'd

be interested in knowing about it.

On a somewhat related side note, we also reskinned and painted an aileron on
a Schweizer 1-34 with Aerothane. That stuff is at the opposite end of the
spectrum as far as ease of use and finish.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN
A-245