RE: Europa-List: Safe Heating Sources.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Safe Heating Sources.
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:09:21

While I can't comment on how effective it is (not yet flying) I have built a
cabin heater as you propose.

In the aluminum cooling duct (CD1) I cut a flap, which is bent downward into
the air stream behind both coolers to deflect air upward into a 2 inch
diameter SCAT tube attached to CD1 with a flanged fitting from Aircraft
Spruce.  Before doing this I queried the factory about how it might affect
engine cooling, and as I expected, there is no reason for concern.  Air flow
is controlled with a butterfly valve in a plenum; the plenum is attached to
the forward side of the firewall above the port side footwell.  I have a
similar arrangement on the starboard side for fresh air, but here the source
is air in the turbo intake plenum.  Warm and cool air is mixed in the
starboard side plenum before being ported through the firewall and thence to
vents on the panel.  Because of the limited space, ducting on the cabin side
of the firewall is 1.5 inch diameter SCAT tube.

This arrangement appeals to me because both air sources are from outside of
the baffling around the engine so there is little likelihood of introducing
carbon monoxide into the cabin along with warm or cool air.  There are gaps
in the baffling so there is still some small risk, but probably not as great
as using a heat muff on the exhaust (if that can be done with the Rotax).

Contact me off list if you would like further details and/or pictures of my
heat and vent scheme.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070