Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 18 Msgs - 12/23/03

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 18 Msgs - 12/23/03
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:27:14

> Fuel is pushed through by the ambient pressure on the carb float chamber,
> so that will decrease with altitude , Seems to me it will be partly
> compensating for the altitude but not completely. Still scratching my
> head!
> Graham
>
> My question here is:  is this not the same mechanism for slight reduction
> of fuel flow with altitude for any standard carb, i.e., less venturi drop,
> less vaporization?
>
> Ira

I think Graham may have it nailed, as the Bing adjusts the venturi plunger also
with ref to float chamber pressure.

This may be ignorant analysis, but on Lycomings you don't have to go too high
before
leaning initially increases power.  It makes no sense to jet the carb that
way, unless you could be too lean down low.  Hence, Lycoming's caution about
any leaning down low at > 75% power.

So, maybe the Bing is metered more tightly to be OK upstairs, but adjusted by
the
variable plunger so's always OK down low?  Thus limited utility in a manual
mixture control.

Regards,
Fred F.