Re: Europa-List: Failed rudder horn?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Failed rudder horn?
From: James H Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:31:52

Mike,
        With the rudder cables terminating at the bell crank, there is a
position for the push pull tube to operate the rudder.  Also there are
two positions for attaching the cables for the tail wheel at each end of
the bell crank. I installed my springs and turnbuckles inside the
fuselage so that only the cables exited to bottom of the fuselage.  It
looks good and reduces drag by having all the junk inside the fuselage.
I welded the "new" horn on the tail wheel and cut off the old tabs that
extended beyond the edges of the new horn.  I could send you a pix of the
tail wheel to show you what it looks like if you want.   By the way, you
should have a large opening in that area so you can get your hands in
there to do what need to be done.  I have a 6" cover over a 5" opening in
that area.  If I were to do it again, I would make a 7" cover over a 6"
hole.  Mine works but I had to trim away most of the flange that was not
supporting the blind nuts.  Just put 4 additional layers of bid on the
inside for about two inches around the opening to strengthen the area.
It makes maintenance in that area easy. You could make two openings - one
on each side-  about 5" cover with a 4" opening so you could get one hand
in each opening to work inside.  Either works.  Even if it just looks
nice, I would do it.  Graham did a good job engineering it.

Jim Nelson