Re: Europa-List: Europa VHF Aerial Quality

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa VHF Aerial Quality
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:07:16

>I have the VHF aerial kit from Europa, and am wondering what others
experience with this has been.<

I have the Europa aerial and it works fine for me. Some people have had a
few problems but I think it quite likely the aerial was not to blame. Some
of these were using certain mediocre radios (like the Terra) and thought the
aerial was the problem when it wasn't. Also it is important that the
installation is done properly. Poor junctions and inferior quality coaxial
cable can degrade performance. Make sure the cable never gets squashed or
kinked.

I think the idea of using a standard half wave dipole as far aft as possible
has a lot going for it. It should radiate a good signal pattern, it is as
far away as possible from other wires and large metal parts which can
distort the signal, and by keeping the aerial the maximum distance from
mic/tel wires reduces the risk of feedback problems (although using good
quality screened cable should prevent this anyway).

Nigel Charles