Re: Europa-List: Electrical questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Electrical questions
From: Jos Okhuijsen <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:51:43

Can't talk about tefzel, i just don't know the stuff. I assume that a
fusable link of some quality has an isolation that does not explode or even
maintain a fire.

>> Yes, it will explode. So will fuses, circuit breakers, switches,
>> anything
>> if you feed sufficient current through them.
>
> Just moments ago I fed several hundred amps across a 25A automotive blade
> fuse.  No fun! It faintly but audibly clicked; the translucent plastic is
> not even discolored. How do I make it explode?

How did you measure that "several hundred" ? I said sufficient amps, in a
test lab that could be like thousands. The point is, that somewhere there
is a spec sheet of these items. Check on that, and you will find a maximum
current that can safely blow a fuse or fusable link. Above that interesting
effects do occur. What you do in your workshop, however interesting, should
not be used as an argument to convince the innocent :-)

> Actually fusible links do replace CB's, in high-current apps due to
> relative cost.

A fusable link as a cost effective replacement? That would be very much a
penny wise, pound foolish decision. Circuit breakers, fuses and fuseble
links each have their own best application, best place in the circuit. Cost
should the least of important factor aboard a homebuild, but fire
protection, protection of the rest of the equipment in case of a failure,
and reliability are way more important. The first place in the circuit
where a fuseble link comes to mind is isolation of the battery, on or very
close to the battery.

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen,tailplane builder