Re: Europa-List: Electrical questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Electrical questions
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:49:47

M.J. Gregory wrote:

> ...Note that in the UK the PFA
> does not encourage the use of fuse links rather than fuses.

I once tested a #20 fusible link, using Mil Spec aircraft wire.  If you pass
enough
current through it, to shorten it's response time to that of a real circuit
protection device at the low end of spec, the physically tough insulation causes
a violent explosion, equivalent to a firecracker.  Luckily I had a brief
moment of nonstupidity to rig the test using a remote switch!  How theoretical
such a fault condition is I don't know, but a fuse means we needn't theorize.
A google search on the topic discloses there's thus preferred insulation
material
-- before wire as a fusible link became obsolete years ago in automobiles....

Regards,
Fred F.