Re: Europa-List: Electrical questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Electrical questions
From: Gilles.Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:01:58

Graham,

Thank you for your message.
The regulator I was speaking of comes in the crate with the Rotax engines.
It has Ducati Energia stamped on it.
It is not a shunt regulator.
The problem is, there is no real thermal connection inside between the SCRs
and the beautifully finned case. The SCRs are soldered on the PCB and
encapsulated in some plastic stuff, with no heat sink.The soldering
thechnique seems rather crude.
I can send pictures of a dismantled unit to those interested.
As most builders in our area use lots of amps  with the 914, the regulators
run pretty hot INSIDE.
They are usually installed with a 22000 uF capacitor in addition to the
battery, to prevent any disconnection problem.

Regards,
Gilles