Europa-List: filler

Subject: Europa-List: filler
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:29:21

All

This filler Thread is very wiggly.

I have built two XS kits. The filler is just filler. The manufactures of the
stuff have good directions for there use.  It is basically suppose to just
level out the "slight" variations in the surface. Not contour the surface.
To do that, use a structural filler.

If you hear of 1/4" thick use, it is not just filling "slight" variations
(IMHO).  The earlier builder may be talking about the old foam core wings.
Some of that work may have needed fairing out with filler due to workmanship
variation.  We are not now faced with those problems.

Keep the fished filler as thin as you can, but don't sand the glass.  I made
a micrometer depth gauge to fine the variations.

I mix my epoxy first, very well, then add filler a little at a time until it
will just hold a peak (like whipping cream) and the "shine" of the epoxy
disappears.  I am not able to tell you how much filler that is because I
can't measure it .  It is too soft to measure by volume and too light to
measure by weight.

I hope this helps those with concern about filler.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds WA 98020
(425) 776-5555