Europa-List: filler

Subject: Europa-List: filler
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:39:19

As I builder just now facing the task of filling, this current thread of
"filler" reminds me of an obscure typeface called "Threadfill" which is
fuzzy, wiggley, and difficult to decipher.

Don't get me wrong...I'm grateful to hear about so many builders'
experiences, and as a consequence, I'm hopeful to avoid pitfalls. And I'm
more than willing to apply the elbow grease and do whatever work is
necessary to get optimal results...nonetheless,

-I'm troubled conceptually with the notion of coating the wings and control
surfaces with as much as 1/4" of filler to be sanded and contoured which
would seem to run the serious risk of altering the airfoils with uncertain
results.

-I'm concerned with the comment that improperly applied filler results in a
surface which is too soft and vulnerable to dings in a fully-finished
airframe.

-I'm surprised to learn of the difficulties which apparently result in the
event that an initial coat of filler is found to be insufficient and
additional filler is required.

-And what is this "colloidal silica" and potential sources for acquiring
some?

Is there someone out there who can spell out "the way"...or am I, and others
like me, left to digest the instructions in the Europa manual with a grain
of salt and thoughtfully consider the various ways previous builders have
addressed this issue?

Would Neville or Andy be willing to stick their oars into this discussion?

a somewhat bewildered Fred, A194