RE: Europa-List: Oil Hoses

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Oil Hoses
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 15:14:49

Paul:

The metric hose fitting are a real pain in the butt.  I just finished this
recently. I'tell you what I did however I don't know if it will be the hot
setup (or cold setup depending on your outlook}.  On the oil line on the
bottom of the engine I didn't route it as noted in the book.  I rotated the
banjo connection around so the line came up around  the port side instead
of being bunched together under the cylinders with the other line.  I
installed  an aluminized corregated insulated heat shield tubing around
this oil line.  The aluminum reflects the radiant heat.  The tubing is 1.5"
in diameter and squishes where need be.  The extra  diameter gives a good
air gap between the outside of the stock oil line and the inside of the
insulation tube.  I got this stuff from the guys over at Phoenix Composits.
I believe it is either the Thermoflex or Thermosleeve that is in the
exhaust insulating section of the Spruce catalog.  They are building a
Europa using this stuff.  The length I used was from the banjo bolt to
where the line goes through the engine mount ring.  The large oil line from
the oil pump is routed as instructed and coverd with  this insulation where
it passes under the cylinders. It is safety wired in place so it doesn't
move around.  The turbo return oil line is routed differently than
instructed.  I used the braided line as supplied in the FF kit as fuel
line.  This was passed up over the front of the engine and clamped with an
Adel clamp to a prop gearbox mount bolt. This was then routed over the top
of the cylinders in the cool air flow before the air flows down through the
fins.
The oil tank vent line is also the steel braided gas line.  I routed this
down to the air box so the air filter supposedly picks up the oil mist.
The line to the heat exchanger is the normal supplied oil line routed
strait down.  I also made 2 stainless steel sheet shielding fins down
below. These are attached to the 2 side mounts for the heat exchanger duct.
The left one is between the back of the muffler and where the 2 hoses go
into the heat exchangers and the right one is behind the turbocharger and
in front of the other 2 hoses.

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa,AZ

<paul.mcallister@qia.net>

> Hi all,
>
> I am in the process of installing the hoses from the oil tank to the
> engine on my 914.  It occurred to me that steel braided hose such as
> Aeroquip 666 would do well in the high heat environment, however the
> barbs on the oil tank are 12 mm not 1/2".
>
> Any idea where I can get a hose like this with 12 mm bore?  Anyone have
> any best practices to share out installing these oil lines as far as
> heat protection, routing or hose type is concerned.
>
> Thanks,  Paul
>

> <META content"MSHTML 6.00.2730.1700" nameGENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
>

> Hi all,
>
> I am in the process of installing the
> hoses from
> the oil tank to the engine on my 914. It occurred to me that steel
> braided
> hose such as Aeroquip 666 would do well in the high heat environment,
> however
> the barbs on the oil tank are 12 mm not 1/2".
>
> Any idea where I can get a hose like
> this with 12
> mm bore? Anyone have any best practices to share out installing
> these oil
> lines as far as heat protection, routing or hose type is
> concerned.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

--- Steve Hagar