Re: Europa-List: Monowheel dual sealed beam?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel dual sealed beam?
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:08:13
 09/12/2003 12:08:19 AM,
        Serialize complete at 09/12/2003 12:08:19 AM

The problem in New York is that you have to leave the landing light on
the whole time you are airborne so the FA-18s on Combat Air Patrol can
pick you up more easily.  That will really drain the battery.

Actually, I am in line to purchase a new 40amp alterator for the Rotax
that
fits on the reduction unit aux drive spline and under the stock Europa
cowl.
Flightcrafters has installed several so far but I don't know if any  are
flying yet.

Ira  N224XS  Uphostery just about done

<rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>

I know the Rotax has a limited alternator if only using the one supplied.

Is there a problem using a landing light for 5 minutes even if if that
would
be discharging the battery by 5 amps?

I had a 1948 cessna 170 that had only a 25 amp generator. When lights were
on
it discharged. Unless at cruise power, the generator did not put out.

Used it for 19 years, never got stuck with a dead battery. Just used
lights
when needed.

A 5 amp discharge on a 16 amp battery should yield over 2 hours, no?

If using 914, with 1 alternator, and battery failed, unless you turned off
some loads the fuel pump would quit or run slow. So you turn off load.

Is there some sort of rule in aviation electron flow that states you can't
overdraw what charger can put out?

Heck, with the Turbo you are limited how much time you can add to Entropy
at
full power, so you limit a negative electron flow so you don't exercise
battery by doing deep discharge too much?

I have a sealed lead acid battery, think it is 5 amps and it is not a deep
cycle battery. I use it for charging electric models at ~ 2amps for
portable
field charger. have used it for years, still works fine.

If I don't know enough to know how little I know, please beat me up.

Thanks
Ron Parigoris