Re: Europa-List: Ignition choices

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ignition choices
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 00:02:33

> Al,
>       Have you considered the fact that you may have to start the
> aircraft with the brakes applied and using the choke?  while also
> adjusting the throttle.  I have!!   I have my starter located on my
> throttle with a shielded push button.  This allows me to operate the
> starter while adjusting the throttle to set it to start.  I have had
> several (fairly often) starts with the firing of only two cylinders as it
> shakes then putting the throttle forward and then maybe full idle to get
> it to go.  I use the choke only after I have initiated the starter.  I
> need the choke most of the time to get it to go.  So as you can see I'm a
> one armed paper hanger getting it to start.  I get it started and then
> when running smoothly, I grab the brake handle to keep it from moving to
> far.  I really like my starter button on the throttle.  Of coarse,  when
> I install my electric prop I'll just set the pitch to fine or "0" and the
> movement of the airframe is a moot point.  I have a 912 S  engine.  My
> ignition is two miniature locking switches (lock in the up position and
> lock in the down position)on the small panel under the main flight panel.
> I then installed a simple removable plug in the push button circuit to
> allow for the circuit to be in continuity for starting that is out of the
> way and not obvious.  The switches are on the far left.  I then ran them
> to a disconnect at the fire wall so I could remove the small panel at any
> time to work on it.  It also keeps them away from any accidental
> bumping.

My experience is that the 912S engine never needs ANY throttle when starting
hot or cold. Indeed it won't start if you do have any throttle.

So cold is close throttle completely, pull choke and press starter.
Gradually release choke while giving a little throttle to keep it at 2200.

Hot is No throttle, no choke, no nothing, just press the starter, Works
every time. No two cylinder stuff. No shaking.

Stopping, well that is different - it tries to shake my teeth out for half a
second EVERY time I turn it off !

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, EGSG (Stapleford)
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)