Re: Europa-List: Ignition choices

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ignition choices
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:27:00

Al,
        Have you considered the fact that you may have to start the
aircraft with the brakes applied and using the choke?  while also
adjusting the throttle.  I have!!   I have my starter located on my
throttle with a shielded push button.  This allows me to operate the
starter while adjusting the throttle to set it to start.  I have had
several (fairly often) starts with the firing of only two cylinders as it
shakes then putting the throttle forward and then maybe full idle to get
it to go.  I use the choke only after I have initiated the starter.  I
need the choke most of the time to get it to go.  So as you can see I'm a
one armed paper hanger getting it to start.  I get it started and then
when running smoothly, I grab the brake handle to keep it from moving to
far.  I really like my starter button on the throttle.  Of coarse,  when
I install my electric prop I'll just set the pitch to fine or "0" and the
movement of the airframe is a moot point.  I have a 912 S  engine.  My
ignition is two miniature locking switches (lock in the up position and
lock in the down position)on the small panel under the main flight panel.
 I then installed a simple removable plug in the push button circuit to
allow for the circuit to be in continuity for starting that is out of the
way and not obvious.  The switches are on the far left.  I then ran them
to a disconnect at the fire wall so I could remove the small panel at any
time to work on it.  It also keeps them away from any accidental
bumping.

Jim Nelson
N15JN