RE: Europa-List: Trike Nose Wheel Tyre and tube.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Trike Nose Wheel Tyre and tube.
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:58:37

Perhaps your observation about the tube being a bit too big is the reason
that I managed to mangle mine the first time I did the assembly (or perhaps
I'm looking for an excuse for my clumsiness).

Your query got me digging into my Aircraft Spruce catalog which confirmed
the source of my confusion.  Although the catalog lists "Tires & Tubes" with
a description that mentions both Goodyear and Shin in the same sentence,
upon a closer reading it appears that only Shin are available in the
11.400-5 size.  Before preparing this reply I checked both the Goodyear and
Michelin web sites and could find this size on neither (and I looked for
industrial and golf cart sizes too), so I guess we're stuck with Shin.  Or
Sears - read on.

When I needed the replacement for the damaged tube I researched the tire
size and found that (as mentioned in the Aircraft Spruce catalog) this is
not an aircraft tire size, and I further discovered that it is available
---From Sears for their Craftsman riding lawn mowers and lawn tractors.  When I
mentioned this many months ago on this forum it prompted an immediate
response from the factory, so I'll note now that the main gear do indeed use
real aircraft tires (and it is those sizes that are much more expensive than
the Michelins on my car.)

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070