Re: Europa-List: Oil Level

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil Level
From: Carl & Dot <carlp@ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:55:57

H  Peter,

Since my first flight (and especially since new dipstick) I have had the
same concerns.

I understand though that this is perfectly normal. If you look hard enough,
the Rotax manuals suggest running the engine for 1 minute before checking
the oil level. Personally I feel this practice will increase engine wear
(and starter motor).

My solution is to manually rotate the prop blades (in the correct direction)
for about three full turns until you hear air benig blown back into the oil
tank. Its a bit of a pain but good exercise ! (just be aware of the prop
tips - they have cut me several times).

Needless to say make sure the mags are well and truly off before attempting
this.

Another option is to turn the engine using the starter, but if you have a
proper starter switch you wont be able to do this without activating the
magnetos.

Safe flying,

Carl

PS If you want a chat, my number is 01296 738129 (just in case you have lost
it)

PPS What oil are you using (I have changed to Castrol RS Superbike since my
oil temp rose to 135 last week in the hot weather- guess I will need to move
the oil cooler from behind the radiators)