Re: Europa-List: New Tailwheel, old engine mount???????

Subject: Re: Europa-List: New Tailwheel, old engine mount???????
From: Nigel Charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:37:58

>There must be a clearance of at least 180mm (for each aeroplane with a
nosewheel landing gear) or 230mm (for each aeroplane with a tail wheel
landing gear) between each propeller and the ground with the landing
gear statically deflected and in the level, normal take-off, or taxying
attitude, whichever is most critical. In addition, for each aeroplane
with conventional landing gear struts using fluid or mechanical means
for absorbing landing shocks, there must be a positive clearance between
the propeller and the ground in level take-off attitude with the
critical tyre completely deflated and the corresponding landing gear
fully bottomed. Positive clearance for aeroplanes using leaf spring
struts is shown with a deflection corresponding to 1.5g.
.......the rest concerns water and airframe clearance.

I have not measured a standard Europa and cannot comment on its
compliance with these regs, but the relentless procession of silent and
humbled pilots making their way to their nearest Warpdrive dealers leads
me to suspect that it might not :-(
What we need is a good "conventional gear" ;-)

.......light blue touch paper....and stand well clear<

I measured the ground clearance on my Classic with 64" blades and the same
on an XS. They came out at 11" and 12" respectively. There is likely to be
slight variation between individual aircraft but this indicates that either
conforms with JAR's.

Nigel Charles