Re: Europa-List: New Tailwheel, old engine mount???????

Subject: Re: Europa-List: New Tailwheel, old engine mount???????
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:37:30

Tony,

This is an interesting question. The JAR regs over here are quite
specific about the ground clearance with regard to propeller clearance.

JAR-VLA 925 1-E-1 states:
Unless smaller clearances are substantiated, propeller clearances with
the aeroplane at maximum weight, with the most adverse centre of gravity
and with the propeller in the most adverse pitch position, may not be
less than the following:
(a) Ground Clearance.
There must be a clearance of at least 180mm (for each aeroplane with a
nosewheel landing gear) or 230mm (for each aeroplane with a tail wheel
landing gear) between each propeller and the ground with the landing
gear statically deflected and in the level, normal take-off, or taxying
attitude, whichever is most critical. In addition, for each aeroplane
with conventional landing gear struts using fluid or mechanical means
for absorbing landing shocks, there must be a positive clearance between
the propeller and the ground in level take-off attitude with the
critical tyre completely deflated and the corresponding landing gear
fully bottomed. Positive clearance for aeroplanes using leaf spring
struts is shown with a deflection corresponding to 1.5g.
.......the rest concerns water and airframe clearance.

I have not measured a standard Europa and cannot comment on its
compliance with these regs, but the relentless procession of silent and
humbled pilots making their way to their nearest Warpdrive dealers leads
me to suspect that it might not :-(
What we need is a good "conventional gear" ;-)

.......light blue touch paper....and stand well clear

Nigel