Re: Europa-List: Fuel Systems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Systems
From: Geoff Leedham <geoff@gleedham.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:56:38

> >This should also cover the situation Europa once described where their
> >914 started coughing, but recovered when pump 2 was switched on, and they
> >subsequently
> >found the Gascolator filter heavily gunged
>
> It should be noted that this was not an Andair gascolator, it was of a
> design almost guaranteed to bung up with any contamination. Andair
describe
> a test they did to demonstrate this. Because the brass screen is close to
> the outlet hole, significant contamination cause deflection of the screen
> which then can contact the edge of the outlet, you then have the small
> outlet hole covered with contaminated screen.
> The screen of the Andair is well displaced from the outlet and placed
where
> the fuel is moving slowly, (large area).
> Graham

Graham, although the Andair filter is well constructed I still had a problem
at the beginning of this year with an almost complete blockage. I had added
fuel from a couple of 10 litre metal fuel cans that I have used for the last
few years. Went flying for an hour, landed and decided to do a run up just
to check the prop setting. At that moment the low fuel pressure lamp on  tne
EIS lit and a few seconds later the engine died.
Took the Andair filter apart and found the filter screen completely
obstructed with a fine dust like powder which turned out to be powdered rust
---From the fuel cans.
I always filter the fuel I add through a Mr Funnel water seperator funnel
which has a fairly fine filter built in, however this powdered rust had gone
through it.
It was fortunate that this happened on the ground and that I carried out
the power check after landing.
I feel that the Andair filter is possibly too fine as I'm sure this dust
would have easily passed through the carb jets without a problem.
Needless to say, the fuel cans have gone!!

Geoff Leedham G_EOFS