Re: Europa-List: Exhaust Departure Angle

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust Departure Angle
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:57:52

> Miles,
> Can you summarise specifically what the Sport Aviation findings were?
> (rather than sending us all scurrying to a competitor magazine of yours!).

My copies of the mags are buried in boxes in storage - however from
memory...

Thrust is proportional to mass flow (still benefits if you use a turbo)
outlet is parallel to airstream, and benefits from reducing outlet area
(tapering down final few inches of outlet at, I would guess, less then 7)
exact dimensions are calculated for a specific altitude.

worth a try, I'd say - friend in the US who has been experimenting reckons
about 8-10% benefit at very specific parameters if it's optimised - his PA28
does 140Kt @ 75% @ 8000 ft DA. (also done a lot of aerodynamic cleanups...)

try emailing the CAFE foundation - I think they've been on the case