Re: Europa-List: Exhaust Departure Angle

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust Departure Angle
From: Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:42:02

Miles,
Can you summarise specifically what the Sport Aviation findings were?
(rather than sending us all scurrying to a competitor magazine of yours!).

The NACA reports documenting the original research had three principal
findings related to exhaust improvements that resulted in overall drag
reductions (but none of them related to thrust recovery):

    1. The cowl opening around the exhaust tailpipe should be as tight as
possible to minimise air leakage.
    2. The amount of tailpipe protruding into the airstream should be as
short as possible or nothing (i.e. cut flush with surface of the cowl, with
suitable protection to the fuselage).
    3. the pipe should be angled back, but for the purpose of reducing the
length of plume poking into and disrupting the airstream, not as a means of
thrust recovery. And this was determined on aircraft with 1000hp and more!.

Mention was made of using the exhaust energy to provide a venturi effect
around the cowl air exit, for the purpose of encouraging airflow through the
cowls and improving cooling.

That said, the Spitfire was well documented as gaining some extra speed with
exhaust stubs turned backwards; these days one might call that wartime
"spin".

Any turbo'd engine would already have had its share of exhaust energy
recovery. Don't be greedy David!

I would have thought that the optimum angle to present the tailpipe end to
the airstream in order to reduce backpressure was perpendicular (i.e.
exhaust pipe pointing straight down; must try experimenting by blowing
across one arm of a manometer.)

The automotive world has had its share of "exhaust thrust recovery" gizmos
over the decades; none taken up by OEMs or the racing fraternity. QED!

Duncan McF.