Re: Europa-List: Door latch

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Door latch
From: Nigel Charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:02:18

>Drill a hole into the fuselage at the center, half way between the shoot
bolts that hold the door closed and centered on the fuselage lip. The width
of the hole is determined by how far you want the egg to drop into the hole.
I used ~ 1"circumference so the hole squeezes the egg about a third of the
way up it.<

If I understand this correctly the hole is drilled in the horizontal part of
the door frame. If this is the case I would strongly advise against this
mod. The PFA have warned us that this frame rebate is a strength critical
area of the airframe particularly in the event of an accident. As the amount
of material removed across the width of the rebate greatly exceeds the
remaining material it would be very difficult to regain the strength lost by
reinforcing around the hole.

Nigel Charles