Re: Europa-List: Fuel In, Braid in / Inflight, Braid Out

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel In, Braid in / Inflight, Braid Out
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:01:36

> Fred and co,
>
> Between you and Brian I think the best option might be to dangle the lead down
> during refuelling, and pull it out again for flight. Would you agree that is
> the best optioin, and if not, what are you doing or going to do with your a/c?
> As I recall you are going diesel with a significantly lower flash point,
> volatility, so maybe your fuel type dictates you don't need to worry, but what
> if you were using a 914 and MOGAS???
> Reg
> Tony Renshaw
> Sydney Australia

I have 914.

A wire braid connected to a metal fuel opening does nothing where safe
fueling practices aren't followed - bond grounded filler opening to fuel
source, source metal tank to earth also.  I think we first need just one
documented case where a fire still occurred despite safe practices,
which would be solely from static downstream of the filler opening.

FAA says one fix is to make a filler pipe big.  Appears to me Europa did
that, with restriction as it enters tank, reducing flow velocity in the
pipe to a small value.  The Mk 1 is fat one; the distance on the XS
design is short.

In fact, does Europa now say to ground the metal filler opening?  Didn't
originally.

Best,
Fred F.