Re: Europa-List: 914 hot starting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 hot starting
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:36:52

In a message dated 3/20/2003 5:48:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kheindl@msn.com writes:

> I am currently renewing my licence flying Katanas. My instructor
> tells me that the only problem with the engine (these are all
> regular 912 80hp) is overheating of the Ducati ignition in hot
> weather. They would love to move it from the top of the engine to
> the firewall, but on a certified aircraft that is a nono.
> These Katanas of course are in use all day long.

I wonder if insulating the ignition boxes would help this problem? It would
keep heat out, but would also keep heat in if it gets in there. Once the
engine starts, it runs fine so it is hard to imagine that this could be due
to the ignition being hot. It does not cool down right away. I have found
that cranking the engine for a while finally ends up in starting. It is way
more cranking than I would like, for the battery's sake. It acts like
cranking introduces enough cool new fuel to get the temps down. This is the
only problem I have found so far with the engine.

Dave
A227
Mini U2
26.2 hours Total Time