Re: Europa-List: 914 hot starting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 hot starting
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:06:04

In a message dated 3/19/2003 5:54:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
peterz@zutrasoft.com writes:

> I agree that cooling the cowl after shutdown would be good idea, but I'm
> just curious if anyone has any idea why it is hard starting when hot? If
> it's vapour lock, I would think that running the fuel pump to circulate
> the fuel would take care of it. Or is it actually a temp problem within
> the carb? Or would it be the ignition modules getting too hot?

That is a good point. It must be carb temps, because the fuel flow back to
the tank is rather high. There would be no flow from the fuel manifold at the
top of the engine to the carbs, so those lines would get warm. Maybe
insulating the fuel lines that go into the carbs would help? It starts OK if
you restart right after shutdown. Since it takes a while to heat up, I
suspect it might be the carbs themselves getting hot.

Dave