Re: Europa-List: 5 Point Harnesses

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 5 Point Harnesses
From: James H Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:50:36

Hi again,
        If you talk to Hooker Harness they will have my dimensions.  The
only caveat is I had a long hookup for the shoulder harness.  I purchased
inertial reels with my units.  If you attach the inertial reels to the
roof of the airframe about a foot behind the rollover structure (behind
the doors). you tell them how far it is to the mounting point for the
reels.  I firmly believe in inertial reels as you can be belted in snugly
and still lean forward for anything needed and still have full protection
in the forward direction.  You SHOULD be snugly attached to the airframe
during take off and landing.  But this can keep you from reaching
something you might need during that time. What about frequency changes,
transponder freq. changes ect. while you are climbing out??  With the
inertial reels you just do it and not worry.   The inertial reels mount
with a 5/8" bolt.  I made up a bracket that allowed for that and provided
legs from that point out away from the mounting point about 4".  (a 8"
spread)  This spread out the stresses that will occur during a sudden
stop.  I covered the frame work with 6 layers of bid. This extended for
about 2" outside of the aluminum frame.  Used flox under the frame to
have a good contact with the top of the airframe.  I used aluminum
framing for my bracket. It gives me confidence for my safety.
                The hooker harness dimensions I sent them is set up for
the standard mounting points on the europa for the lap belts.  The
shoulder harness is as you wish.  I'll try to remember to take pix of
them for you tomorrow.   (one side is shorter than the other in the
mounting positions)

Jim