Europa-List: 5 Point Harnesses

Subject: Europa-List: 5 Point Harnesses
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:43:05

Gidday,
I am working on my cockpit module and am wondering about a 5 point harness.
I know some may think this overkill, but I fly an a/c now that only has a 4
point, and there is a natural tendency as your shoulder harness tightens
under load for your lapstrap to ride up above your hips. To achieve a safe
outcome your lapstrap would have to be uncomfortably tight always. So, the
problem arises in an impact where your abdomen is exposed to forces
supposed to be contained by your lapstrap, but they aren't. So, I want to
know if anyone has fitted a crutch strap and if so where it was mounted,
either on the vertical face of the thigh support, or was it accomodated in
the first 4-6" of the front portion of the thigh support on the seat long
axis, or where? Any quick advice would be kindly appreciated.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia