RE: Europa-List: Fuel filler

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel filler
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:40:03

OK, Ferg, here goes....

Although my undergraduate education was in chemical engineering I am not
certain that I should "pronounce" on the correct choice, not being an expert
on the subject.  I do, however, feel competent to interpret published data,
and in this case I don't see too much difference (except price) between
nitrile and Buna-N, but McMaster-Carr's Buna-N product description tips the
balance (for me) by noting that the hose "Meets SAE J1527, Type B2 standards
for marine fuel hose."

I also did a quick Web search for SAE J1527 and found an interesting (and
brief) description of marine fuel system hoses at
http://www.tridentmarine.com/html/refers/fuelhs.html that includes these
definitions "Type A hose is fire resistant. Type B hose is not fire
resistant.  Class 1 hose (for fuel distribution lines) is the most fuel
permeation resistant. Class 2 hose (for fuel fill and vent lines) may be
less fuel permeation resistant."  The Buna-N offered by McMaster-Carr is
rated B2 -  a Type B rating for fire resistance in the baggage bay area
probably is not too important (if you've got flames back there you have much
worse things to worry about than whether the hose will rupture) but the
Class 2 may make you reconsider.  I did find a source (sort of) for SAE
J1527, Type A1 at http://www.jgbenterprises.com/static/6030.asp (with a
location not too far from you across the border near Syracuse, NY) but that
page notes that Goodyear (the manufacturer) produces large diameter sizes of
this only in rather large minimum quantities, and it is a non-stock item for
the distributor.

Another search on SAE J20R1 found links only to radiator hose applications
so if I had only these two choices I would choose the Buna-N.

I am building an XS and have yet to put fuel in the tank so I can't comment
on the suitability of hose materials from personal experience.  I have used
the very short "couplings" supplied by Europa for the fuel filler connection
to the tank, and likewise for the connections at the bottom of the tank, but
I replaced the factory supplied small diameter fuel hose with Teflon lined,
stainless steel braided hose.

In re: your follow on message.  What did you mean by "your address came back
and bit me?"  Did your message get bounced by my server?

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070