RE: Europa-List: Through The Firewall

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Through The Firewall
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 14:55:47

I don't know how Bob would do this but my scheme uses a stainless steel
spring loaded "valve," the valve being a flat piece of SS about 60mm square
and 2mm thick, and the spring action coming from a hinge with an integral
spring.  The valve is held open by means of a stainless steel cable attached
to the non-hinged edge of the SS plate, and the other fixed to the firewall
via a fusible link.  Except for the fusible link, the whole assembly is
contained within an aluminum plenum (just a plain old chassis box as used
for electronic projects) that takes air flow from two SCAT tubes, one from
the heated air behind the two "radiators" and the other from the same air
intake that feeds the turbo of the 914.  In the unfortunate event of an
engine-side fire, the fusible link melts and the flap slams shut against the
firewall.  No pilot action is required to shut off the ventilation air to
the cockpit.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070