RE: Europa-List: Main gear installation sequence

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Main gear installation sequence
From: Ian Rickard <ian.iicons@ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:52:35

I installed the main gear with the top off as I could not contemplate the
problems of doing it with it on.  After talking to Nev he was satisfied that
if the fuselage is well supported, particularly the tail, in a good jig it
should not cause any problems.  I already had the fuselage in the Chuck
Popenoe designed jig for better access to the underside.  For details of the
jig see http://members.bellatlantic.net/~cpops/cradle.htm

I also found that locating the undercarriage legs accurately was made easier
by clamping a transverse length of timber to the lower stringers of the
cradle.  I can let you have a picture of the setup if needed.  As Richard
has said it is best to set everything up with the top clecoed in place then
removed it to do the layups.  When the main layups are done it is very
unlikely anything will move.

One of the biggest benefits is that you can do the tie bar after you have
done the main gear mounts.  If this is done first it makes the main gear
even harder to do.  I also installed the flap drive and the basic electrical
runs.

Ian Rickard  #505 G-IANI
e-mail ian.iicons@ntlworld.com