Europa-List: Engine mounts

Subject: Europa-List: Engine mounts
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:59:29

Hello all,

I now have 4.3 hours of flight time on the Mini U2 with very few problems. My
main complaint is vibration from the engine/prop combination. The stock motor
mounts are as if made of rock, so I went with the modification today to
replace them with continental O200 engine mounts. They are noticeably softer
and when installed (about a 3 hour job) the engine has significantly more
movement than before. This seems to be a quantum leap in flexibility. I have
yet to run it and I know they are installed correctly.

My question: Have many people changed these engine mounts? It seems like a
good idea, but the amount of motion (mount flexibility) surprises me. Anyone
out there with similar experience?

BTW - I found a speed difference of 6 knots between the wing static system
and cabin static -- cabin reading higher. Since the airplane is stalling at a
faster speed than I expect on cabin, I suspect that the pitot static on the
wing is better. I also wonder about how the holes on the side of the wing
static are clocked with respect to vertical. I did mine at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30
and 10:30. Has anyone tried to make a static port on the side of the fuselage
aft portion like many airplane do (my twin comanche for example?)

Dave
A227
Mini U2