Re: sticky poxy

Subject: Re: sticky poxy
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:28:07

>I mixed a batch of filler

>It hasn't gone off properly. It feels slightly tacky to the touch and my
>sandpaper clogs up very quickly with sticky blobs when I try to rub it back

Richard - I managed to do this recently while filling some dents in
the foam aileron core. It was standard Ampreg 20 & q-cell. As there
was no strength required, I didn't bother erecting the curing tent.
However, it was a pretty cold night. The next day, the filler was
still unsandable, just as you describe yours. I had to mix up some
fresh filler (to repair the mess made by dragging sticky lumps out
with the PermaGrit!) and then put up the heated (25C - 28C) curing
tent as I normally do for all structural resin cures. Worked like a
charm! The gooey stuff appeared to cure OK as I didn't need to remove
it all, and all areas sanded fine the next day. Below a certain
temperature (not sure exactly what), the stuff just won't go off.

regards

Rowland