Re: aileron hinge flange BID size

Subject: Re: aileron hinge flange BID size
From: J R \Bob\ Gowing <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:35:37
Dear Tony Renshaw

Make your own jig. I did mine in less than 2 days.

I used the sides of the packing case the kit arrived in. It is board made
---From chips 10mm thick and a little thin for the job, but doing it. If you
can get the use of a jigsaw cutting the rounded cuts in the forms is quick
and easy.

I bought 4 straight pieces of 90x40mm 3.6m long (dressed 4"x2" pine x 12 ft)
and did not cut the "dados" (cut outs) to hold the forms in place; instead I
glued on to them short pieces of 2x1" pine blocks each side of the forms to
form the slots for the forms. You can knock them off when you are finished
and still have the uncut 4x2's for something else.

After I had the jig finished and had begun using it, I moved the third form
as Chuckpops advised about 8" back (this is to allow setting up the flaps
later but I have not got to that yet.

I also lined the cut out edges of the forms where the fuselage rests with
hot water pipe insulation sponge tubing sliced open to let the edges enter.
This stuff also absorbs tight areas against the fuselage. One other addition
was to use a strong bungee cord across each end of the side rails to make
sure it stays together if you drag the jig about the floor.

The only part that is a bit fiddly is getting the shape of the fuselage
right. With the fuselage resting on the floor  I did it by resting a piece
of timber across the edges at the form points. The timber had paper taped
over the edge and hanging it at each form point. The trick then is to make
marks on the paper where it just reaches the inside of the shell. This will
give you the line to cut out to suit the fueslage.

When you first put the fueslage into the completed jig take care to look for
any tight spots and relieve them. I got the tail end one to one side a bit
and had to take a bit off one side to let the fuse rest straight.

The the Chuckpops jig is a great help in building and I am certainly glad I
made one.

You have to take care you do only enough to do the job! I have to watch this
trait myself!

Just working on the trim system in the tail end. Next I am going to put on
the top temporarily and put on the fin so I can build the closing at the
back and set in the part of it in the lower fuselage. This should allow me
to do the tailwheel mod working from the top with it open.

Sincerely
JR (Bob) Gowing,  Kit 327
24 High St, BEGA NSW 2550