Re: SmartTool Level vs Zircon VideoLevel

Subject: Re: SmartTool Level vs Zircon VideoLevel
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 19:41:55
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

> I am looking at purchasing a digital level. It seems
> that everyones favorite model is the SmartTool
> ...However, there appears to be another
> electronic level made by Zircon that is only $40. I
> don't know the difference between the two. For such a
> large price difference I am assuming that there are
> large differences. Anyone know?

The Zircon VideoLevel is a like a bubble level that beeps.  The
display is graphical not digits, self-calibrating, and memory for
angles other than level. It's been very handy for jobs other than the
Europa, since you don't have to look at it; beep means level or
plumb.  Beep also means within +/- about .07 degree, but in equalizing
wing or tailplane incidence which is only where accuracy is really
needed, a bubble level does that too, and better.  Plus one side and
minus on the other could mean as much as .14 deg diff; similar on the
SmartTool?

Best,
Fred F.