Fuel drains

Subject: Fuel drains
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:36:08
Cheers.
            I see some discussion regarding fuel/water drains and slight
slope. I have wondered about the drains being slightly above a potential
pool of water lurking at the bottom back of the tank, and then visualized up
to 15 inches of fuel sitting on top of the water.
            When one opens the drain (i.e: the tank base), would not the
weight of a column of fuel push the water out first? If not, what allows
fuel to pass the drain tube entry ahead of the water?
            I think if the drain tube entry is placed where water
congregates it cannot fail to force the water out first. One must examine
the amount of fluid equal to the length of the drain of course. This may
mean a larger sample of fluid than normal.
            The gascolator is another kettle. Its job is to capture water in
the lines just before entry to the engine and retain it until checked after
landing/before departure.
Cogito scribo.
Ferg