Re: 51% rule

Subject: Re: 51% rule
From: Larry Graves <rlg34@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:06:26
Alexander,

Best of luck to you in your efforts to help builders complete their planes
in Brazil. For a useful summary of the "51% Rule" issues facing US builders,
take a look at the "51% Rule" page on AirCrafters web site:
www.AirCraftersLLC.com (the FAA actually calls it the "Major Portion Rule").

There you will find all the current info in a relatively brief format that
tries to cover all the bases. Of course, the proposed Sport Pilot/Light
Sport Aircraft Rule will change this somewhat but only for qualifying
aircraft.

AirCrafters has assisted with several Europas over the years and is helping
complete an XS right now for a customer based in California. Labor costs are
definitely the most significant issue facing a builder-assistance center, so
you are wise to take advantage of the high-quality, low-cost labor force
available to you.

You are also wise to make sure that you don't "help" your customers so much
that their aircraft are no longer eligible for registration and
airworthiness under their country's regulations.

Best,

Larry Graves

P.S.: Mr. Santos-Dumont spent quite a bit of time here in California in the
early 1900s and was well-thought of by many in the aviation community.