Re: Aluminum Prep

Subject: Re: Aluminum Prep
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremyda@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:06:23
Duane,

I went through just these issues myself recently when I started my wings
- until now I, like you, had just Alodined/Alumadyned my parts and then
embedded them in epoxy parts.

My plane will have to cope with UK weather, with some significant
coastal exposure up in Cumbria (windy, wet, salty, sandy).

I reviewed everything I could find on the Forum archive, checked with
the Factory, asked my inspector, and checked with the builders I know.

I settled on:

1) Alodine/Alumadyne everything (with appropriate cleaning using
PolyFiber's alkaline cleaner and ScotchBrite pads - from Aircraft
Coverings Ltd.)
2) Make all joints between dissimilar metals with Duralac (Light Aero
Spares stock this)
3) Paint the completed aluminium parts with Zinc Chromate (LAS again)
4) Paint the parts that will be visible from outside (bellcranks, ends
of the pushrods) with white gloss (LAS again, for convenience) - just
for prettiness

I haven't done any steel parts yet, but I do have spray and brush-on
Zinc Oxide (spray from local supplier, brush-on from Halfords).

I ruled out powder coating and anodising for the following reasons:

1) I wanted to work with parts as the jobs came up - not in one big lot,
which is less convenient for outsourcing the work
2) I recognised that considerable tweaking of parts is necessary
(putting the bold clearance on the quick-release bellcranks, ovalling
the aileron bellcrank mounting holes to fit the spar bolts, drilling out
the undersize laser-cut holes) and that treatment _after_ cutting these
parts is required
3) I have a very restricted workshop (8' x 16') and needed a process
that was not space-hungry (e.g. an oven for the powder coating)

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey