Re: Aluminum Prep

Subject: Re: Aluminum Prep
From: Nick Hammond <Nick.Hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:00:18
Mike,

The adequacy of Alodyne on its own is likely to depend where you are planning to
fly. There's a lot of salt in the air near the coast and corrosion is inevitable
over time unless there is good protection.

The identification of parts is relatively easy to sort out from the diagrams in
the manuals -- the main problem with powder coating is that you have to mask
all the areas where there will be a joint as the coating is rrelatively thick
and not particularly easy to rework without destroying its integrity. In some
cases (bellcranks are an example), this is not really a practical proposition.

I have used zinc oxide (reputed to be as effective as zink chromate but safer to
use) applied by spray can in light coats for the more inaccessible parts --
time alone will tell how effective this will be.

Best regards,

Nick Hammond
XS Mono 418