Re: Baggage bay bulkhead to fuselage

Subject: Re: Baggage bay bulkhead to fuselage
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:52:26

>> Question: Should there be BID applied to both sides of the bulkhead,
or only to the forward side?  It was !#%!* of a job just to fit in there
for me to do the front and get a decent peel ply job (not stated as
required but. . ) - let alone try and reach through the access panel and
do the back side.

It should be applied to both sides of the bulkhead. This is a final
checkout item and must not be missed.

>> While on the subject, I'm thinking of reinforcing the bottom edge of
the access opening with a wood or aluminum angle stiffener.  How else do
you climb back in there without damaging the bottom edge of the opening,
or cracking the bulkhead with one's body weight?  (Answers of 'Very
carefully' are deemed unacceptable!
:-) )

.... Very carefully :)

You can add a small foam lip (1" sq or so and glass that onto the back
of the baggage bay hole. It's actually surprisingly tough by itself and
is able to take the weight of this builder. I just lay a pillow over the
sharp edge to prevent it slicing me in two.

Tony