Re: Carb Balancing

Subject: Re: Carb Balancing
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:54:40
Thanks for the tip Jerry. I already have one Lo Gague so only have to
purchase another (now ordered over the internet @ 14.50 including
carriage).

I had a long chat with Conrad Beale (AKA Skydrive) and he showed me the
Rotax setup (or rather the one that he uses) . It is not a Skydrive approved
accessory but it is the one he uses to set up the 912 engines. It consists
of two dial type vacuum guages and a valve (fish tank tap !!!) to damp out
the oscillations. Rotax will sell you this setup if you need one - cost
about 50.

The readings are taken directly from the balancing tube takeoffs (simply
remove the alloy balancing arm and substitute the vacuum guage takeoffs).
The guages are standard dial guages - Gunsons make a similar guage priced at
about 20 each. It is possible to get away with a single guage but two are
much easier to use but if you do this ensure the unused takeoff is closed
off otherwise a lean mixture on this side will cause problems (possibly even
damage !).

Note-   the Rotax maintenance manual refers to a takeoff point on the
carburettor but it is very difficult to reach especially when the balance
arm takeoffs are available. I understand that newer engines have a separate
plug in the manifold for balancing purposes but if you use this then the
balancing tube needs to be disabled/ plugged  as this evens pressures
between the left and right side of the engine making it very difficult to
get a true balance reading.

Note the pressure readings are taken at the manifold side of the carbs and
NOT the air filter end. We are measuring suction/ vacuum rather than
airflow.

First set up the engine at idle speed using the idle stop screws. Make sure
the throttle cables are not overriding the throttle idle screws. Start with
the screws fully backed off (use a feeler guage to check when the screw
contacts the throttle arm) Then turn the idle screws clockwise until the
engine idles smoothly at about 1400RPM.

The mixture control screws are set separately by closing them and then
opening up by one and two thirds turns. This should be done before checking
the balance.

NOTE - mixture control screw is not the same as the idle screw.

Once idle balance is satisfactory then balance the manifold readings at
about 3000RPM using the cable adjustment nuts. Once this is OK then recheck
the idle settings.

It is worth noting that if the spark plug colouring is uneven this is likely
to be due to an imbalance between the carbs and not a mixture problem. I was
going to modify the needle settings as my RHS plugs were running on the
black side but was advised that setting up the balance correctly would
probably cure this without tampering with the mixture.

Hope this info is of interest.

Carl Pattinson

G-LABS