Re: CAA Medicals and the NPPL

Subject: Re: CAA Medicals and the NPPL
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 00:39:34
As I understand it...

The NPPL doesn't allow the following (at least!):

1) Night
2) IMC
3) Overseas

It is hoped to reach agreement with other European aviation authorities in
the future for cross-recognition of National licenses - just like we had
before JAA PPLs.

You need the equivalent of an LGV/PCV medical to carry non-pilot passengers.
The equivalent of a car medical will suffice for solo and flight with
qualified pilots as passengers.

I note in some recent aviation magazine letter columns that there have been
some problems getting GPs to sign off NPPL medicals: "This is for a pilot's
license and I'm not signing you off for that even though I'd be happy to
sign you off for an LGV license". No doubt this will clear up in time.

I'm sure others can add further details...

Regards,
Jeremy