CAA Medicals and the NPPL

Subject: CAA Medicals and the NPPL
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 23:53:11
My Class2 medical on my CAA PPL has just expired and now needs renewing.

Unfortunately I just found out last week that my CAA medical examiner has
retired and so I am looking for a new one. The last guy was excellent and
olny charged 50 for the exam and ECG (as long as I paid in pound notes). I
suspect any replacement examiner will charge substantially more, and being
over 50 means I will pay this every year. I have been told 125 is the
current going rate for a CAA medical.

It would seem that now would be a good time to convert over to a NPPL which
I understand is a once only 130 admin fee to the CAA.

I'm not sure this is a good move as there must be a down side. The advantage
would seem to be that as long as i'm only flying for pleasure I only need a
doctors certificate and then only every 5 years (till 60 that is).

Does anyone know what the disadvantages of the NPPL are (eg: will I still be
able to fly on the continent ?).

I have a week to decide so any comments would be appreciated.

Carl Pattinson